Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Sam Smith: In the Lonely Hour


Ok, ok, it's time. I can't fight it any more, I just have to talk about Sam Smith. With a name as everyday-ordinary as Sam Smith, who would have figured that boy can sing? And I don't mean sing, I mean saaaaang. Like whoa, son. His voice is so beautiful it's almost pristine, and his lyrics are inquisitively soul searching. I'm not too sure about his hair do, but everything else is spot on so I can't fault him for this weird triangle-Mohawk thing he has going on.

Sam Smith is a Brit, born and raised in London. (I love me a British anything, actually, having had a strong case of anglophilia since the moment I realized I had no chance of becoming a princess and living in a castle if I stayed in America. Being a First Lady just doesn't have the same appeal.) His cousin is Lilly Allen, another highly talented musician with a true gift of singing/composing.



But his music, oh his glorious music! It connects to a deep place in each person, because he writes about the desire to love and be loved in return. In the Lonely Hour was inspired when he fell in love with a person that didn't return his love. Like so many people, the exquisite pain of unrequited love drove him to a dark place and taught him a definition of loneliness he hadn't experienced before realizing he had never received true, romantic love before. 

One last thought: if I hear one more person say "Stay with Me" glorifies a one night stand, I will shake my fist at the sky and protest the lyrical ignorance of our nation. This would never happen if people paid attention during their literature classes or read more books. Never! But I digress. If one listens to the words, it's about the deep desire for love, and how love in random places and faces and brief interludes cannot and does not fill that need or end that quest. But that deep desire drives an individual to try to fill the void and make believe that their is a true connection, all the while still longing for the real thing. It's actually a tragically beautiful, gut wrenching song, truth be told. And yes, I love it and I sing it like I'm part of a Southern Baptist choir whenever it comes on. Yes, people. I saaaaang it out, real loud and real proud.

Sam Smith's music is a beautiful mix of talent and soul. His own inspiration comes from soul greats like Aretha Franklin, Stevie Wonder and Adele. Anyone that can mix that up successfully is sure to produce a great album. See for yourself here:

XOXO

Camie

6 comments:

  1. After hearing so many people raving about his album I finally downloaded it and love it! Such a great sound to chill out to

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was disturbed by his weird triangle mohawk also but boy can sing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHA, I know, right? That hair has so many amazing possibilities! We need to get in touch with his stylist:)

      Delete
  3. Oh god I tried so hard to deny it as well but its just so damn good! The man's voice is absolutely stunning. I don't know if you've heard his Radio 1 Live Lounge cover of Fast Car but if you not you need to check it out!

    ReplyDelete