Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Spotlight On Concerts: Edgefest 2012


In case this isn't obvious, I hereby confess: I'm a music fanatic. I love it all, but live music absolutely slays me. There's something about the experience that's raw, real, and entirely relatable as you feel and connect to a song with a crowd of complete strangers. That's something you just can't get with an iPod and even the best speakers in town. Since I have this live music fettish, it should come as no surprise that I like staying in the know about all that's the latest, greatest, and note-worthy on the musical circuit. Since DFW Piano Lessons provides lessons to all age groups, I enjoy sharing reviews on concerts and music events to my more mature students or the parents of my younger ones. Hint hint, this post isn't intended for younger, more impressionable music lovers.

This year, Edgefest 22 has a spectacular line up that I'm wildly excited about hearing live. Because I heart you, here's a run down of some of my favorite artists and a little sample of their music. I know, get excited. This is happening! 

Black Keys: Um, what's not to love about this band? I am car-aazy enthusiastic when it comes to their garage rock revival style music. The blues-meets-American rock meshes so perfectly, I've yet to hear a song of theirs that I don't think, "That was an awesome song. Repeat!"

Black Keys "Gold on the Ceiling"

Garbage: Not to set back the feminist movement or anything, but there aren't many women who can pull off bad-attitude b***h band music. Garbage not only can and does, but has been doing so for a long time. And true to the fairer (possibly more fabulous sex), the lyrics are meaningful and pack a big hit in each song. 

Garbage "Blood for Poppies"

Evanescence: I have a not-so-secret love for gothic/punk music. I've loved this band for, oh, ages and ages. True, "My Immortal" and all the other fabulously dark, moody songs that lend themselves to writing many heartfelt journal entries and brooding with other gothicy/punky peeps, but no music lover could ever deny the band does this style of music right. I've always had a special spot on my music list for them since my only semi-brooding teen years, and still have them on my playlist to this day, which I think is entitled: Dark & Moody. Or it should be.

Evanescence "My Heart Is Broken"

Cake: Thank goodness for bands that are willing to do their own thing, create their own sound, and own it. Consummate artists of the alternative genre, Cake has a number of tracks that infuse a mix of sounds ranging from a bit of Big Band Swing, funk, to even Iranian folk music. It's nothing short of innovation at its best. Intrigued? Of course you are.

Cake "Short Skirt/Long Jacket"

Cage the Elephants: I like unpredictable bands, and this group is exactly that. They've produced music that's distinctly them and uniquely enjoyable, which is a combination I go for ever time. They make "snazzy tunes", or so I've been told by those who know. And yes, snazzy is a word. I just dictionary.com searched it for you. Helpful AND educational, that's the way I blog.

Cage the Elephants "Aberdeen"

The Ting Tings: Red heads are sassypants. So are the Ting Tings, so it surprises me the group isn't made up entirely of red heads, but [allegedly and according to pics on the internet---which makes it 100% reliable] none of this all female band are fellow foxy reds. Who cares. They know how to rock some serious sass in a fabulous punk-pop kind of way.

The Ting Tings "That's Not My Name"


Civil Twilight: I really enjoy this alternative-rock band. With a the musical edge that's granted only to true singer-songwriters, this power trio rocks produces tracks that stay true to the heart of rocking it out. With a style similar to Muse, Needtobreathe, Mutemath, and other rockers who haven't forgotten how to jam and don't suffocate their music with artificial, studio produced tracks, this group is one I heart. 

Civil Twilight "Letters from the Sky"

But guess what? That's not all! Want to know the complete list of performers? Here it is:

MAIN STAGE
The Black Keys
Band info and videos

Garbage
Band info and videos

Cake
Band info and videos

Cage the Elephant
Band info and videos

Arctic Monkeys
Band info and videos

Neon Trees
Band info and videos

Civil Twilight
Band info and videos

Switchfoot
Band info and videos

Aranda
Band info and videos


SECOND STAGE
Evanescence
Band info and videos

Blue October
Band info and videos

The Ting Tings
Band info and videos

Foxy Shazam
Band info and videos

Dead Sara
Band info and videos

The Features
Band info and videos

Chomsky
Band info and videos


Read more: http://edgefest.kdge.com/main.html#ixzz1ra4m9Qwj