Monday, July 16, 2012

Spotlight On New Album: Ho Hey (Surprisingly Not a Rap Song(

The newest band I was recently introduced to is called the Lumineers. They're a folk-rock band from Colorado, and their music has this fabulous, rustic, wear-your-heart-on-your-sleeve kind of sound that gets me every time. Every time,  people. It's just that good!

I'm going to go out on a limb and predict this band is going to go big or go home. With a Grammy or two, that is. I am currently addicted to their entire album, particularly their song "Ho Hey" which is not the same thing as "Hey, Ho." That may or may not be how I've been announcing this great little number to friends, shouting with WILD enthusiasm, "You must listen to this new song called "Hey, Ho!" 
My friend: "I don't do rap. You know that."
Me: "It is not rap. It's the opposite of rap. Wait, that's country. This is Indie-folk, so it's like the second opposite of rap. The opposite's cousin."
Friend: "Your head-space is a strange and wondrous place."
Me: Like Pan's Labyrinth.

I insist you give this band a try! If you love Indie or even tolerate it, or you just want to stick it to all the rap artists out there, you need to check the Lunineers out! Unfamiliar with the group? Here are some fun facts:


The band consists of Wesley Schultz on guitar and lead vocals, Jeremiah Fraites on drums, and Neyla Pekarek on cello, mandolin, piano, and vocals. Random fact: they found Pekarek on Craigslist and added him to the band. I'm personally terrified of Craigslist, since it seems like a great place for serial killers to mingle and whatnot, but good thing it worked out for the Lumineers! Their music is described as "walking that line with an unerring gift for timeless melodies and soul-stirring lyrics." I tried to think of a better way of phrasing that, but that sentence just summed it up so well. Why mess with a good thing? This is one time a little copy-and-paste was a must. (And also for some college research papers back in the day. Shh. Don't tell...) I have no clue how they came up with the album title "Ho Hey", which I invariably and rather embarrassingly call "Hey Ho", but whatever. It's a killer album. Listen to it here, or catch them live on their tour





No comments:

Post a Comment