Sunday, October 21, 2012

New Album Review: Pines by A Fine Frenzy


I remember when Alison Sudol first hit the musical scene with her album "One Cell in the Sea" featuring hits like "Almost Lover" and "Ashes and Wine." Her whimsical, melodic ballads had all the magical ingredients of coffee-shop reveries and indie-kids background tunes. Intelligent, wistful with just the right tinge of something sad and something sweet, her first album quickly won me over. Oh, and a random fun fact: the name A Fine Frenzy was taken from one of my favorite Shakespeare plays A Midsummer's Night Dream. It's an appropriate name, because Sudol's style is an artsy dreamscape for the listening ear.


While I was less inspired by her second album "Bomb in a Birdcage", Sudol still proved her staying powers as a singer-songwriter. I was really curious to see how her latest album "Pines" would play out (literally and figuratively) and I was pleasantly surprised. It's obvious Sudol has grown up and experienced more of the world. A heavier tone of sorrow is woven throughout the album. I found something very powerful and meaningful in this album. It wrenched at my heart in a way her last album failed to do. While there's definitely more depth to her latest work, Sudol also spins out brighter, livelier tunes like "Now Is the Start." One last review that has nothing to do with music: while I might be partial to red hair, I think she look sooo fabulous as a redhead. I'm not into this new do at all, but fortunately it's not effecting her music;) Check out her latest album and listen to A Fine Frenzy's past albums as well!

XOXO

Camie


 

No comments:

Post a Comment