Monday, March 9, 2015

Believe It or Not: Mumford & Sons Depart from Famous Style

Well, I guess nobody knows how to bring all good things to an end like the Brits. First, Downton Abbey killed off a slew of my favorite characters (the Deaths That Must Not Be Named) and now M&S are abandoning their famous UK Folk style to reign in a more electronic sound. I mean, NO. Just stop the madness! It's like J.K. Rowling's horrible last battle against Voldemort, and I feel wildly betrayed. Never mind quality, you just can't go changing things up like this on a girl! 

So here's the run down: we can apparently blame Texas. I blame Texas for most problems anyway, like my addiction to eating buckets of Guacamole and drinking on a patio if the weather is anything other than freezing. My list of vices links directly to the Lone Star state, I swear it. Apparently, Marcus Mumford was at a wedding in Texas when the song essentially just came to him and he got up and started singing it. The rest of the crew helped piece together the song which they titled "Believe." It seems like a weird wedding inspired song since it actually has a really depressing overlay that I usually enjoy oh-so-much. EXCEPT as a wedding song or when my mind is being blown to bits as I have to question everything I ever thought I knew about a band. "Believe" is the single for their upcoming album Wilder Mind. The track is pretty awesome, if it were, oh, say Coldplay putting out this tune, but who am I to tell musicians they can't shake things up?

The song is stripped bare for the first half and then breaks it down with drums and electronic guitars. And I'm like, banjos! Beards! Tambourines, oh my! What happened to M&S?!!! The group openly acknowledges that the new album is a huge departure from their previous albums. Well, that would be an understatement, I do believe. So here's the thing: the song is good. I would expect nothing less. It's just very different and pretty melancholy sounding (hope the wedding couple doesn't claim this as their personal love song). I also don't like the video, which basically makes me feel like I'm on a horrible Uber ride that won't end for 3 minutes and 47 seconds, which makes me question reality even more, because I love Uber.

But let's just cut to the chase and have you decide for yourself. There is not one ukulele in sight. Be strong, grasshopper. Love it or hate it? Are you a fan of the new M&S?



6 comments:

  1. Mumford goes indie? This is amazing! Thank you for sharing, mind blown. xx Lisa
    www.strumsimmersip.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not the only one whose mind is not knowing how to handle this! Great site by the way! That Chunky Monkey pudding looks so good! <3

      Delete
  2. hahahah this was so good! i actually took a real liking to it, but nothing will ever compare to their banjos and beards. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah, it is sooooo good! But I'll miss their banjos, beards and flannel shirts. Sigh...

      Delete
  3. I don't know. It's not SO bad, but I will say the guitar drives a little wedge in the song.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Kristyn! It's not a bad tune, it's just so....different from what I was expecting. Sigh...

      Delete