Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Noteworthy Artists: Of Monsters & Men



Their name reads like a folklore or the beginning of a bard's tale. Their music flows just as whimsically and reaches out to tug on your heartstrings. Of Monsters & Men is perhaps one of my favorite Indie-Folk/Indie-Pop artists of this year, because their sound is deceptively simple yet powerful. One of my friends was playing their album My Head Is An Animal during our recent over the top camping/road trip excursion, and I fell in love with this band all over again. Maybe it was the combination of wild, wide open spaces and mile high skies blending perfectly with the gorgeous melodies, but I found myself greatly moved by each song.




According to the band's website, "Of Monsters and Men is an amiable group of day dreamers who craft folkie pop songs. But last year, the normally mild-mannered six pack transformed into total rock stars after stomping out their competition during Músiktilraunir, a yearly battle of the bands in their native Iceland.“We just kind of…won,” recalls co-singer/guitarist Nanna Bryndís Hilmarsdóttir. “We weren’t expecting it at all. So I said, ‘Everybody come to my place!’"




The group has blossomed into being sought after for worldwide tours, but they keep their homeland at the heart of their music. "Iceland can be a very isolated country and that translates to the music," Nanna says, adding,"We get stuck in our little world." Whatever influences their writing, they've come up with an album you won't want to miss. Well, I'm off to vay-cay in the Dominican Republic, but enjoy some music and summer fun in the meantime!


XOXO
Camie

No comments:

Post a Comment