Monday, May 7, 2012

Music News: Mad Men + Beatle Mania


Any other Don Draper fans out there? I'm a huge fan of the super sexy, scotch drinking, dark and brooding protagonist of the show Mad Men. It's one of the few shows I actually have time to watch (via my DVR...not enough hours in the day to fit in TV, people, not enough!) And just when you thought the show couldn't get any better, it DOES! In the latest episode aired this Sunday, it wraps up with a completely awesome Beatles song called "Tomorrow Never Knows." What?! Excellent plot and a song by one of my favorite bands ever? Too much! Or just right.


I LOVE THE BEATLES. I mean, love them. I've had Beatlemania since, well, probably when my dad listened to the world's most awesome rock band (ever, not subject to change) when I was a itty bitty fetus. That's how far back my love goes. But I digress. Awesome facts about this song:


* Mad Men produces paid a cool $250,000 for the rights to use the song in both the episode "Lazy Lazarus" and for the end titles. That's a significantly higher price than the going rate. So worth it. (You know that's change they have under their sofa cushions anyways!)

* This transaction makes the Beatles song the most expensive song the studio has used for any show.

* The Beatles Band has always been known for being purists. They don't typically allow television or film productions to use their songs, but the surviving band members plus Yoko Ono must also have a crush on Don Draper, because they gave their stamp of approval.

* The song is also featured in the film Sucker Punch. Unfamiliar with this great song? Here's your hookup!

"Tomorrow Never Knows"

Want more information? Check out this article or this link where I got my music scoop! 

No comments:

Post a Comment